Since I didn’t have the zipper I needed to make the dress I’ve been dreaming about, my weekend project end up being a few t-shirt dresses for O. The shirts were already in her closet and the fabric is a thrifted cotton/poly knit I’ve had for about a year now.
Obviously, modeling for a photo shoot or even letting me style her was not part of O’s plan for the day. I managed to sneak in a few shots while she played with the cat, hence the blue blur in her hand. I am hoping to get a few, styled shots of the second dress this afternoon.
What O did feel like, after playing with the cat, was having a snack while I made a salad for supper. What mama would complain about a kid who loves veggies?!
Ever since “O” was born, I have be obsessed with little harem pants. They seem to be the ideal in cute, comfy, baby gear. The first pair I made were delicious! What’s not to love about hot pink crinkle cotton, snagged at the thrift, and a wide swaggy crotch line that encompasses a cloth diaper with ease? According to my husband, a lot. He hated those pants. So much so, that I don’t even have a photo of her wearing them. My second take was scaled back a long way to just a pair of rather wide legged pants with a slightly drop crotch (My Little Gypsy). The saying goes that the third time is a charm. Yesterday, I went for it again and made a more full legged version that is the embodiment of perfection. They have all the comfort and ease of a harem pant to please me, no swaggy crotch to irritate the daddy, and lots of movement for an acrobatic little lady. Additionally, they fit well over a pair of tights to keep little legs nice and toasty warm. For this creation, I used a 1/2 yard of poly/rayon blend I picked up at my favorite thrift store of $.50. Instead of actually drafting a pattern I just used a ruler and chalked out two rather large rectangles directly on the fabric, marked the crotch level, and cut those babies out. Very straight forward. They have only two seams and three casing, so even without a serger they took less than an hour to stitch up. Obviously, “O” loves to help me do the laundry and it proved to be an excellent diversion for photographing. It was so much easier to get a few decent shots when she had something more interesting to do than try to investigate the camera.
Finally, the top I made for Baby. With all the help O gave me, it’s amazing I got it finished and photographed. She is wearing the top over a long sleeved onesie and jeans.
This slightly blurry shot was the best one I managed to get with all of O’s assistance. Baby is a very patient little person, but with Mama setting her in a weird chair and sister constantly trying to adjust her, it had to be a very short photo shoot.
The moon phases applique (because the meaning of her name relates to the moon) and the short puffed sleeves were cut from a girls size 7, yard sale blouse. I think I spent a quarter for it a few years ago. The cotton is very dense and has a tone on tone embroidery that my machine despised. Hubby thinks the motor on the old girl is going.
The striped fabric on the bodice is a very light weight cotton denim that I picked up at the thrift. I spent $1 for about a yard and a half. I also have a dress for her in this fabric that is just waiting for the finishing touches.
Little Gypsy tunic and pants
Oddly enough, this top is made from the same pattern and size I used to make O’s Little Gypsy outfit last spring. Part of this is due to the versatility of the design, but mostly it just speaks to the sizes of my girls.
And the upside of having a toddler who makes writing a blog post into a day long event–the opportunity for an impromptu second photo shot! As it got quite warm this afternoon, we ditched the onesie and the sleeves on the blouse are much easier to see.
Since I decided to channel Scarlet this week and create a top from draperies, I just had to name this pattern appropriately. Meet the “I Don’t Give a Damn” tank.
As cute as this top it, it’s not nearly as cute as my photographers assistant was. “O” insisted on helping her daddy take the photos this morning and the results were a bit blurry. This was actually the only front view I was able to salvage from the shoot.
Last summer, while I was pregnant with “O”, I purchased two tanks from Wal-Mart that had an amazing fit. They were nicely proportioned through the shoulders and chest and widened to a swingy hemline that was great both for pregnancy and then beyond. When I bought them I intended them only for maternity wear, but found myself layering with them all winter. I knew that was the fit I needed for this summer, so I used one of the tops to slip a pattern from. Then of course I had to add a few extra details.
I redrafted the back of the pattern to include a simple yoke with a sheer back panel. I also lengthened and curved the front so that despite my rather round tummy, the front and back would maintain an even hemline. The entire front and yoke were made with a layer of thrifted lace curtain over a piece of vintage cotton that was given to me years ago. The lower back panel is lace only.
I didn’t bother to line the pattern of the lace up in any particular manner because I love randomness, but my husband believes that was a mistake. Looking at the sheer panel, I can see what he means. The piece is just enough “off” to look like an accidental misalignment. The arm holes are also a bit snug and cause the top to pull a bit during wear. It’s not a deal breaker, but I will fix that flaw before I put the pattern away.
This month I have joined a 1 Project Per Week sew-a-long instigated by the talented seamstress over at bernie and I. She has issued a challenge to other bloggers to try and complete one sewing project every week for the entire month of June. This project completes my first week of the sew-a-long and I have already been rummaging through my stash for next weeks inspiration.