Ever since “O” was born, I have be obsessed with little harem pants. They seem to be the ideal in cute, comfy, baby gear. The first pair I made were delicious! What’s not to love about hot pink crinkle cotton, snagged at the thrift, and a wide swaggy crotch line that encompasses a cloth diaper with ease? According to my husband, a lot. He hated those pants. So much so, that I don’t even have a photo of her wearing them. My second take was scaled back a long way to just a pair of rather wide legged pants with a slightly drop crotch (My Little Gypsy). The saying goes that the third time is a charm. Yesterday, I went for it again and made a more full legged version that is the embodiment of perfection. They have all the comfort and ease of a harem pant to please me, no swaggy crotch to irritate the daddy, and lots of movement for an acrobatic little lady. Additionally, they fit well over a pair of tights to keep little legs nice and toasty warm. For this creation, I used a 1/2 yard of poly/rayon blend I picked up at my favorite thrift store of $.50. Instead of actually drafting a pattern I just used a ruler and chalked out two rather large rectangles directly on the fabric, marked the crotch level, and cut those babies out. Very straight forward. They have only two seams and three casing, so even without a serger they took less than an hour to stitch up. Obviously, “O” loves to help me do the laundry and it proved to be an excellent diversion for photographing. It was so much easier to get a few decent shots when she had something more interesting to do than try to investigate the camera.
Last week, when I started “O’s” new wardrobe, her daddy made a request. He asked that I make her a little gypsy outfit. A chemise dress was already in the planning stages and with a tiny bit of tweaking and the addition of a pair of pants, it became the perfect Little Gypsy Duo.
Fabricated from a cotton sarong I haven’t used in several years, this outfit was easy-peasy from start to finish. I revisited my pajama pants pattern yet again, but this time I added two inches width to either leg. The pants, complete with elastic ankle cuffs and waistband, flew together in less than a half hour. The tunic took a bit longer, but not much and was drafted using the method outlined in Donald H. Mc Cunn’s How to Make Sewing Patterns. For coverage sake, the main body of the tunic is a double layer, but instead of an over and underskirt I handled the layers of fabric as one with the exception of hemming. Although the ensemble is darling as is, I intend to add a contrasting vest in the near future.
“O” has just finished a growth spurt. One of those that takes your nice round baby and stretches them out to a long, lean little bugger. Now the pants she’s been wearing all winter are so big in the waist, she crawls right out of them. Luckily it was time for a fresh wardrobe anyway.
Using a long sleeve cotton t-shirt that never fit me quite right and my favorite cotton/spandex cami that had seen more than it’s fair share of layers, I started with a jumper and two pairs of pants. The t-shirt had the greatest black/red London themed print that I just love and it made up into some really cute baby gear. Unfortunately, I didn’t photograph it before taking the scissors to it.
The jumper was made from the body of the long sleeve t-shirt and trimmed with strips of thrifted grey jersey (we will be seeing more of that fabric soon). I made the pattern using a tank onsie as a guide, it was much easier than trying to measure a wiggly baby. When I laid out my pattern, I lined it up with the bottom of the t-shirt and was able to avoid hemming. I love easy solutions! The pants are a slimmed down version of the pajama pants I drafted last month and the fabric was sourced from a black cami. The elastic in the waistband is the cami strap. Her undershirt is a purchased, black lace onsie I have been dying to get her into.
This second pair of pants was crafted using the sleeves of the t-shirt and the same altered pattern I used on the black pants. The waistband elastic is the other cami strap and, once again, I was able to lay the pattern out against the existing hem an thus cut out a step. Her black Henley was an existing part of her wardrobe and will soon find itself facing the scissors to transition into summer.
Since “O” is not a very cooperative model (it took me all day to get images this good), please excuse my photos. On my next project for her, I will find a creative photography solution that does not require “help” from my little ball of energy.