Moon Phase Peasant Blouse

Standard

Finally, the top I made for Baby. With all the help O gave me, it’s amazing I got it finished and photographed.  She is wearing the top over a long sleeved onesie and jeans.

luna shirt_phixr

This slightly blurry shot was the best one I managed to get with all of O’s assistance. Baby is a very patient little person, but with Mama setting her in a weird chair and sister constantly trying to adjust her, it had to be a very short photo shoot.

The moon phases applique (because the meaning of her name relates to the moon) and the short puffed sleeves were cut from a girls size 7, yard sale blouse. I think I spent a quarter for it a few years ago.  The cotton is very dense and has a tone on tone embroidery that my machine despised.  Hubby thinks the motor on the old girl is going.

The striped fabric on the bodice is a very light weight cotton denim that I picked up at the thrift.  I spent $1 for about a yard and a half.  I also have a dress for her in this fabric that is just waiting for the finishing touches.

Little Gypsy tunic and pants

Oddly enough, this top is made from the same pattern and size I used to make O’s Little Gypsy outfit last spring.  Part of this is due to the versatility of the design, but mostly it just speaks to the sizes of my girls.

20141209_151615_phixr

And the upside of having a toddler who makes writing a blog post into a day long event–the opportunity for an impromptu second photo shot!  As it got quite warm this afternoon, we ditched the onesie and the sleeves on the blouse are much easier to see.

My Little Gypsy

Standard

Last week, when I started “O’s” new wardrobe, her daddy made a request.  He asked that I make her a little gypsy outfit.  A chemise dress was already in the planning stages and with a tiny bit of tweaking and the addition of a pair of pants, it became the perfect Little Gypsy Duo.

Little Gypsy tunic and pants

Little Gypsy Duo: tunic and pants

Fabricated from a cotton sarong I haven’t used in several years, this outfit was easy-peasy from start to finish.  I revisited my pajama pants pattern yet again, but this time I added two inches width to either leg.  The pants, complete with elastic ankle cuffs and waistband, flew together in less than a half hour.  The tunic took a bit longer, but not much and was drafted using the method outlined in Donald H. Mc Cunn’s How to Make Sewing Patterns.    For coverage sake, the main body of the tunic is a double layer, but instead of an over and underskirt  I handled the layers of fabric as one with the exception of hemming.  Although the ensemble is darling as is, I intend to add a contrasting vest in the near future.

My little gypsy, enjoying her daddy's day off.

The little gypsy, enjoying her daddy’s day off.