My hippie girl turned 15 last week and like most teenage girls, she wanted clothes. Only what she wanted was a little different than what most ask for at that age. She wanted hippie clothes. I’ve got to say, that girl has my style. Recently, I ran into a vintage Simplicity pattern that I remember wanting at her age and did something stupid. I used a commercial sewing pattern and didn’t even edit out the facings. Yikes! I was cussing through the entire project. It’s lucky O didn’t pick up any new words.
I have yet to get a review from the girl, but if it’s good I will make this again (with editing of course). Instead of sewing it the Simplicity way, I will sew it the me way and make proper yokes so that the facings can be eliminated. To make up for the ugly factor of facings, I was careful to make the hem extra nice.
Per usual, the cotton fabric was post consumer, but this time it was extra special. I found this piece a few months ago at the local thrift and it was a piece of flour sacking. When you look closely the printing is still visible in a few places. I tried to cut around it the best I could, but couldn’t completely avoid it. Luckily, my hippie girl digs things like that and was ecstatic when I explained the fabric to her.
I had intended to use post consumer lace on the yoke, but just about had a fit trying to find it in my stash. Then my husband reminded me that I had used it this past summer on my I Don’t Give a Damn maternity top.
Before I started this project I had grand plans to seriously edit and create this dress for myself, but now I am just over commercial patterns again. Maybe, I will revisit this idea in a few months when I start my fall/winter sewing and can justify creating a fully lined version.
Since I decided to channel Scarlet this week and create a top from draperies, I just had to name this pattern appropriately. Meet the “I Don’t Give a Damn” tank.
As cute as this top it, it’s not nearly as cute as my photographers assistant was. “O” insisted on helping her daddy take the photos this morning and the results were a bit blurry. This was actually the only front view I was able to salvage from the shoot.
Last summer, while I was pregnant with “O”, I purchased two tanks from Wal-Mart that had an amazing fit. They were nicely proportioned through the shoulders and chest and widened to a swingy hemline that was great both for pregnancy and then beyond. When I bought them I intended them only for maternity wear, but found myself layering with them all winter. I knew that was the fit I needed for this summer, so I used one of the tops to slip a pattern from. Then of course I had to add a few extra details.
I redrafted the back of the pattern to include a simple yoke with a sheer back panel. I also lengthened and curved the front so that despite my rather round tummy, the front and back would maintain an even hemline. The entire front and yoke were made with a layer of thrifted lace curtain over a piece of vintage cotton that was given to me years ago. The lower back panel is lace only.
I didn’t bother to line the pattern of the lace up in any particular manner because I love randomness, but my husband believes that was a mistake. Looking at the sheer panel, I can see what he means. The piece is just enough “off” to look like an accidental misalignment. The arm holes are also a bit snug and cause the top to pull a bit during wear. It’s not a deal breaker, but I will fix that flaw before I put the pattern away.
This month I have joined a 1 Project Per Week sew-a-long instigated by the talented seamstress over at bernie and I. She has issued a challenge to other bloggers to try and complete one sewing project every week for the entire month of June. This project completes my first week of the sew-a-long and I have already been rummaging through my stash for next weeks inspiration.