All Hippy-Dippy and Stuff

Standard

cella blog ready

My hippie girl turned 15 last week and like most teenage girls, she wanted clothes.  Only what she wanted was a little different than what most ask for at that age.  She wanted hippie clothes.  I’ve got to say, that girl has my style.  Recently, I ran into a vintage Simplicity pattern that I remember wanting at her age and did something stupid. I used a commercial sewing pattern and didn’t even edit out the facings.  Yikes!  I was cussing through the entire project.  It’s lucky O didn’t pick up any new words.

cella top pattern_phixr

I have yet to get a review from the girl, but if it’s good I will make this again (with editing of course).  Instead of sewing it the Simplicity way, I will sew it the me way and make proper yokes so that the facings can be eliminated. To make up for the ugly factor of facings, I was careful to make the hem extra nice.

cella blog ready hem

Per usual, the cotton fabric was post consumer, but this time it was extra special.  I found this piece a few months ago at the local thrift and it was a piece of flour sacking.  When you look closely the printing is still visible in a few places.  I tried to cut around it the best I could, but couldn’t completely avoid it.  Luckily, my hippie girl digs things like that and was ecstatic when I explained the fabric to her.

cella top fabric_phixr

I had intended to use post consumer lace on the yoke, but just about had a fit trying to find it in my stash.  Then my husband reminded me that I had used it this past summer on my I Don’t Give a Damn maternity top.

Before I started this project I had grand plans to seriously edit and create this dress for myself, but now I am just over commercial patterns again.  Maybe, I will revisit this idea in a few months when I start my fall/winter sewing and can justify creating a fully lined version.

me pattern_phixr

Advertisements

I Don’t Give a Damn!

Standard

Since I decided to channel Scarlet this week and create a top from draperies, I just had to name this pattern appropriately.  Meet the “I Don’t Give a Damn” tank.

DSCF3420_phixr

As cute as this top it, it’s not nearly as cute as my photographers assistant was.  “O” insisted on helping her daddy take the photos this morning and the results were a bit blurry.  This was actually the only front view I was able to salvage from the shoot.

DSCF3428_phixr

Last summer, while I was pregnant with “O”, I purchased two tanks from Wal-Mart that had an amazing fit.  They were nicely proportioned through the shoulders and chest and widened to a swingy hemline that was great both for pregnancy and then beyond.  When I bought them I intended them only for maternity wear, but found myself layering with them all winter.  I knew that was the fit I needed for this summer, so I used one of the tops to slip a pattern from.  Then of course I had to add a few extra details.

DSCF3430_phixr

I redrafted the back of the pattern to include a simple yoke with a sheer back panel.  I also lengthened and curved the front so that despite my rather round tummy, the front and back would maintain an even hemline.  The entire front and yoke were made with a layer of thrifted lace curtain over a piece of vintage cotton that was given to me years ago.  The lower back panel is lace only.

I didn’t bother to line the pattern of the lace up in any particular manner because I love randomness, but my husband believes that was a mistake.  Looking at the sheer panel, I can see what he means.  The piece is just enough “off” to look like an accidental misalignment.  The arm holes are also a bit snug and cause the top to pull a bit during wear.  It’s not a deal breaker, but I will fix that flaw before I put the pattern away.

DSCF3424_phixr

This month I have joined a 1 Project Per Week sew-a-long instigated by the talented seamstress over at bernie and I.  She has issued a challenge to other bloggers to try and complete one sewing project every week for the entire month of June.  This project completes my first week of the sew-a-long and I have already been rummaging through my stash for next weeks inspiration.

A Peasant Basic

Standard

I’ve been planning to make myself a white peasant blouse for summer and the creation of The Little Gypsy Duo got me motivated.  Since the pattern for this blouse is the exact same format as “O’s” tunic, I really couldn’t find an excuse not to draft the pattern and get moving.  For some reason, sewing for myself is so much harder than whipping something up for one of the kids or the hubby.

Easy and comfortable, just what you want during pregnancy.

 

For this project I actually used brand new material.  Back in February, when our tax return came in, my sweet husband took me to Billings fabric shopping.  When he told me about his plans for the trip, white cotton gauze was one of the few fabrics on my list; I specifically knew I wanted it for this project and the chances of finding it at the thrift was slim.  I purchased two yard for a total of $8.39 (it was on sale for 40% off), but I wish I had gotten even a fourth yard more since the layout was a bit tight even for my liking.

peasant2

I drafted the pattern, cut, and stitched the blouse one afternoon last week and then left it sitting on the sewing table to be hemmed for several days.  For some reason, I just stalled out.  Now that I took a few minutes and finished it, I can’t even remember why I was dragging my feet.  Maybe we can just blame it on the pregnancy hormones.

peasant3