“O” has just finished a growth spurt. One of those that takes your nice round baby and stretches them out to a long, lean little bugger. Now the pants she’s been wearing all winter are so big in the waist, she crawls right out of them. Luckily it was time for a fresh wardrobe anyway.
Using a long sleeve cotton t-shirt that never fit me quite right and my favorite cotton/spandex cami that had seen more than it’s fair share of layers, I started with a jumper and two pairs of pants. The t-shirt had the greatest black/red London themed print that I just love and it made up into some really cute baby gear. Unfortunately, I didn’t photograph it before taking the scissors to it.
The jumper was made from the body of the long sleeve t-shirt and trimmed with strips of thrifted grey jersey (we will be seeing more of that fabric soon). I made the pattern using a tank onsie as a guide, it was much easier than trying to measure a wiggly baby. When I laid out my pattern, I lined it up with the bottom of the t-shirt and was able to avoid hemming. I love easy solutions! The pants are a slimmed down version of the pajama pants I drafted last month and the fabric was sourced from a black cami. The elastic in the waistband is the cami strap. Her undershirt is a purchased, black lace onsie I have been dying to get her into.
This second pair of pants was crafted using the sleeves of the t-shirt and the same altered pattern I used on the black pants. The waistband elastic is the other cami strap and, once again, I was able to lay the pattern out against the existing hem an thus cut out a step. Her black Henley was an existing part of her wardrobe and will soon find itself facing the scissors to transition into summer.
Since “O” is not a very cooperative model (it took me all day to get images this good), please excuse my photos. On my next project for her, I will find a creative photography solution that does not require “help” from my little ball of energy.